PCA is one of UK’s largest archaeological companies, with seven regional offices across the country. We have been delivering professional heritage services for more than 25 years. We are delighted to announce the opportunity to join our multi-disciplinary team of specialists, as we continue through 2021 with a range of exciting projects across Greater London and North Kent.
We will be looking to recruit Field Archaeologists and we also have a limited amount of spaces for trainees.
PCA offers a competitive salary and a range of attractive employee benefits. The successful candidates would benefit from having an interest in history and/or archaeology, enjoy working outdoors and be able to undertake physical work (eg. digging and being outside in any weather), often in challenging weather conditions.
About The Job
Location: Various projects in and around the London/Greater London area and north Kent
Working week: Monday to Friday 37.5 hours per week, usually 8am – 4.30 pm, with breaks for lunch and tea
Salary range: Trainees – £23,074.32 per annum; Field Archaeologists – ranging from £25,581.06 to £26,762.37 per annum.
- Interest in archaeology
- Good oral and written English, basic math skills are essential
- Willingness to learn new skills, positive attitude and excellent work ethic
- Good teamwork
- Punctuality and good time keeping
- Attention for detail
- Commitment to PCA’s health and safety policies at all times
- 3 months of commercial fieldwork experience (if applying for Field Archaeologist)
- Membership with CIfA
- Clean driving license and willingness to drive company vehicles
- First-aid training
- Valid CSCS cards
- Experience of Watching Brief work
Candidates applying for traineeship roles could be offered an initial 3-month trainee contract, if they are able to show an interest and passion for archaeology. All successful candidates will undergo a probationary 3-month period, with the potential of long-term employment.
PCA follow all current guidelines regarding SOP and COVID19 and take the safety of our staff as paramount – advice is continuously updated in line with government guidance and site-specific RAMS are provided for each project.
- Friendly and supportive work environment
- 28 days of annual leave (including bank holidays, with 2 extra days for If you are employed with us over the Christmas period), rising on service length
- £15 per night subsistence when working away from home (and high-quality accommodation provided)
- High quality PPE and site welfare provision– the safety of our staff always comes first
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working, TOIL, possibility of work from home if eligible
- Childcare vouchers, Christmas vouchers
- H&S training relevant for your role will be provided and paid in full (CSCS, SSSTS, First Aid, Asbestos Awareness, CAT and Genny etc.)
- Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (Cifa) subscriptions paid in full
- Driving time paid at 150% normal rate (when driving company vehicles outside of normal working hours)
- Paid mileage if using own vehicle (subject to eligibility)
- Annual appraisal and progression opportunity
- Company pension scheme
PCA is committed to a comprehensive equal opportunities policy in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities without regard to race, religion or belief, colour, sex, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation. All applicants with the relevant qualifications and experience are welcome to apply for this opportunity.
We are expecting a high volume of applications and therefore cannot commit to confirming receipt of applications. In accordance with our GDPR policy, we will not keep unsuccessful applicants’ details or CVs on our system, unless you expressly request that we do. Please be advised that you must hold the right to work and live in the UK in order to apply for this job. To apply please email your CV and covering letter to PCA’s HR Manager Caroline Edwards (CEdwards@pre-construct.com) Please specify on your application which role you are applying for. If successful you may be asked to attend an interview at our office in London.