PCA is one of UK’s largest archaeological companies, with seven regional offices across the country. We have been delivering professional heritage services for more than 25 years. We are delighted to announce the opportunity to join our multi-disciplinary team of specialists, as we start 2021 with a range of exciting projects across East Anglia, undertaken from our offices in Pampisford (Cambridge) and Honningham (Norwich). Our most recent sites in the region included large scale Iron Age, Roman and medieval settlements, as well as various rural and urban projects of all periods.
We will be looking to recruit staff at Trainee and Field Archaeologist levels. PCA offers a competitive salary and a range of attractive employee benefits. All the successful candidates would benefit from having an interest in history and/or archaeology, enjoy working outdoors and be able to undertake physical work (eg. digging and being outside in any weather), often in challenging weather conditions.
PCA follow all current guidelines regarding SOP and COVID19 and take the safety of our staff as paramount – advice is continuously updated in line with government guidance and site-specific RAMS are available.
- Friendly and supportive work environment
- 30 days of annual leave (including bank holidays and 2 days for If you are employed with us over the Christmas period), rising on service length
- £15 per night subsistence when working away from home (and high-quality accommodation provided)
- High quality PPE and site welfare provision– the safety of our staff always comes first
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Cycle to work scheme
- Flexible working, TOIL, possibility of work from home if eligible
- Childcare vouchers, Christmas vouchers
- H&S training relevant for your role will be provided and paid in full (CSCS, SSSTS, First Aid, Asbestos Awareness, CAT and Genny etc.)
- Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (Cifa) subscriptions paid in full
- Driving time paid at 150% normal rate (when driving company vehicles outside of normal working hours)
- Paid mileage if using own vehicle (subject to eligibility)
- Annual appraisal and progression opportunity
- Company pension scheme
About the job:
Location: East Anglia and surrounding areas (transport provided from Pampisford or Norwich/ Honningham)
Working week: Monday to Friday 37.5 hours per week, usually 8am – 4 pm, with breaks for lunch and tea
Trainees – £19, 109
Field Archaeologists – starting at £20,477.71
Trainees and Field archaeologists
Responsibilities (you will receive training in the following):
- Excavation of archaeological features and deposits
- Collection and labeling of artefacts
- Writing context sheets for archaeological features and deposits, drawing plans and sections to scale, on site photography
- Collection and processing of environmental samples
- Post-ex office work (occasionally required) including washing, marking and labeling finds, archiving site records
- Interest in archaeology
- Good physical shape and willingness to work on site in all kinds of weather
- Good oral and written English, basic math skills are essential
- Willingness to learn new skills, positive attitude and excellent work ethic
- Good teamwork
- Punctuality and good time keeping
- Attention for detail
- All staff will be required to daily commute to the regional offices in Pampisford or Honningham in order to travel to site (unless they choose to travel to site independently) or work in one of our labs at Pampisford
- Commitment to PCA’s health and safety policies at all times
- 3 months of fieldwork experience (if applying for Field Archaeologist)
PCA is committed to a comprehensive equal opportunities policy in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities without regard to race, religion or belief, colour, sex, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation. All applicants with the relevant qualifications and experience are welcome to apply for this opportunity.
We are expecting a high volume of applications and therefore cannot commit to confirming receipt of applications.
In accordance with our GDPR policy, we will not keep unsuccessful applicants’ details or CVs on our system, unless you expressly request that we do. Please be advised that you must hold the right to work and live in the UK in order to apply for this job.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to CEdwards@pre-construct.com
Please state on your application which role you are applying for and at which office would you want to be based. If successful you will be asked to attend an interview at our office in Pampisford. For more information, please visit http://www.pre-construct.com