PCA is one of UK’s largest archaeological companies, with seven regional offices across the country. We have been delivering professional heritage services for more than 25 years. We are delighted to announce the opportunity to join our multi-disciplinary team of specialists, as we start 2021 with a range of exciting projects across the country, undertaken from our various offices. Our most recent sites in the region included large scale Iron Age, Roman and medieval settlements, as well as various rural and urban projects of all periods.
We are looking to employ capable and motivated undergraduate students over the summer break. We welcome applications particularly from Archaeology students but also related subjects, such as History, Classics, Geology etc. The successful candidate will be offered a 3 month fixed term contract and provided with 7 day accommodation or free transport to site from the respective offices.
This is an exceptional opportunity for students to broaden their knowledge and gain experience in commercial archaeology. We offer a range of exciting projects across the country, including large scale Roman-British settlements, prehistoric and medieval rural sites as well as urban excavations. You will have the chance to be trained by some of our specialists and researchers in archaeological excavation, drawing sections and plans, use of GPS, post-ex work including washing/sorting finds, environmental archaeology and plenty more.
The applicants who join us and successfully complete the 12 week traineeship programme will be prioritised in future job applications with PCA.
PCA offers a range of attractive employee benefits, available to all staff as soon as they start, including:
- Friendly and supportive work environment
- Generous annual leave
- £15 per night subsistence when working away from home (and high-quality accommodation provided)
- High quality PPE and site welfare provision– the safety of our staff always comes first
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Cycle to work scheme
- H&S training relevant for your role will be provided and paid in full (CSCS, SSSTS, First Aid, Asbestos Awareness, CAT and Genny etc.)
- Chartered Institute for Archaeologists (Cifa) subscriptions paid in full
- Driving time paid at 150% normal rate (when driving company vehicles outside of normal working hours)
- Paid mileage if using own vehicle (subject to eligibility)
- Company pension scheme
About the job:
Location: Various (London, Winchester, Warwick, Durham, Newark & Cambridge) please specify what location you are applying for
Working week: Monday to Friday 37.5 hours per week, usually 8am – 4 pm, with breaks for lunch and tea
Regional: Daily rate of £75.51 (£377.52 weekly)
London: Daily rate of £83.89 (£419.48 weekly)
Responsibilities (you will receive training in the following):
- Excavation of archaeological features and deposits
- Collection and labelling of artefacts
- Writing context sheets for archaeological features and deposits, drawing plans and sections to scale, on site photography
- Collection and processing of environmental samples
- Post-ex office work (occasionally required) including washing, marking and labelling finds and archiving site records
- Current undergraduate student of Archaeology or relevant subject
- Good physical shape and willingness to work on site in all kinds of weather
- Good oral and written English, basic maths skills are essential
- Willingness to learn new skills, positive attitude and excellent work ethic
- Good teamwork
- Excellent punctuality and timekeeping
- Attention to detail
- Commitment to PCA’s health and safety policies at all times (explained in full during induction)
PCA is committed to a comprehensive equal opportunities policy in which individuals are selected and treated on the basis of their relevant merits and abilities without regard to race, religion or belief, colour, sex, age, national origin, disability or sexual orientation. All applicants with the relevant qualifications and experience are welcome to apply for this opportunity.
We are expecting a high volume of applications and therefore cannot commit to confirming receipt of applications.
In accordance with our GDPR policy, we will not keep unsuccessful applicants’ details or CVs on our system, unless you expressly request that we do. Please be advised that you must hold the right to work and live in the UK in order to apply for this job.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter to CEdwards@pre-construct.com
Please state on your application which role you are applying for and at which office would you want to be based. For more information, please visit http://www.pre-construct.com